Service started 2nd November, Solomon just joined FNAN, and started running as Accounting Trainer.
First cohorts around 7 to 8 trainees. Focused on one aspect of accounting — getting tangible and working knowledge of SAGE — accounting software. The list of achievable are:
- SAGE, how to install, use and practice with the aim of acclimatising the trainee to the day to day use of the software — and hence increase their technical confidence.
- Exposing the trainee to a day to day activities of an accountant and enacting these real life hands-on experience
- Typically the trainee will be given a zoom training on a Monday, some achievable tasks to do on their own through the week, and on a Saturday one-to-one as well as team-work review.
- A whatsApp group used to convey information with the trainees
- Throughout, hands-on-practical training was found to be very productive, raising the confidence of participants–knowing what it takes to be an accountant.
- Practicing as if in a typical accounting firm, in a realistic environment helps to raise trainees self confidence.
- How to understand job adverts, run a checklist against it and how to apply and prepare for an interview was also important
Feedbacks and Questions
Mentor’s meeting 12/01/2021
- It would be great if there could be symbiosis between FNAN employability and accounting training; especially for the clients interested in the accounting field. for e.g. accounting trainer can be in a panel when employability wants to conduct mock interviews, and employability trainer and her team could assist accounting trainees to produce relevant CV and cover letters.
- Question: does the trainee have to be a graduate, and whether the training advices pathways to qualification: Answer: the training is for anybody, who sees a future in accounting and to be a training environment to can nurture the individual to make a decision on what qualifications they want to pursue or find employment as accounting technician solely based on experience.
- Question: ‘any idea when the next course could be, already I’ve three to four individuals who are at college and could benefit from this, and can FNAN can publish a course outline and a year planner, where by future trainees can subscribe to’. Trainer’s Answer: the current training is near to its ending, and he is encouraged enough, and plans to start the next round sometime mid February, and make this permanent FNAN service. The year planner, i.e., preparing training schedules is a very good idea not only for accounting but for all FNAN regular services.
- Feedback: pursuing on mentoring the training, any thought on helping trainees aspire to take jobs in investment banks, trading floors and city – related financial posts — if there is perhaps if Accounting Trainer could liaise with FNANNERs who work in the financial industry who are eager to mentor the trainees on taking financial positions in the City.
FNAN is very proud and grateful to Solomon, Accounting Fnanlet